[Pythonedu-wg] Welcome to the PSF Education Working Group

Nicholas H.Tollervey ntoll at ntoll.org
Mon Sep 21 20:55:47 CEST 2015

Hi Carrie Anne,

;-)

I'm very excited by all of this - please see my comments in-line below.

On 21/09/15 13:36, Carrie Anne Philbin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thank you for joining the mailing list for the PSF Education Working
> Group <https://wiki.python.org/psf/PythonEduWG>.
>

> Python in education is a topic close to many of our hearts and this
> working group has been formed to make things happen in a number of ways:
>
>   *
>
>     We're a meeting point for people who want to make practical
>     contributions to Python in education.

I like the emphasis on *practical* rather than discussion (I guess
that's the realm of the EduSIG). Can you confirm the implication that
this space if for the organisation of tangible projects, efforts and
events that relate to Python in education..?

>   *
>
>     We identify and coordinate projects that deliver specific and
>     measurable results that support our aims.

How is this identification going to work? When you say measurable, what
precisely do you mean? (I'm guessing that the projects themselves have
some stated outcomes that are expressed in such a way that they can be
shown to have been met.)

>   *
>
>     We support and facilitate such projects so they have the best chance
>     of meeting their goals.

+100000000000000000000000000000000000

> In particular we will be focusing on:
>

>   *
>
>     Education friendly editor (IDLE)

See Dan Pope's "Puppy" editor. ;-)

>   *
>
>     An educational Python bundle available across platforms
>
>   *
>
>     Lessons and resources
>
>   *
>
>     A way to communicate, coordinate, and facilitate the educational
>     events that are happening around the world.

All good stuff!

> I’ll be sending out emails to start discussion on the first two topics
> shortly. Please do ensure that you take a look at the working group
> charter here <https://wiki.python.org/psf/PythonEduWGCharter>so that in
> the not too distant future, we can start a discussion around governance.
> We need to elect a chair and co-chair to provide reports to the PSF
> board. I’m happy to fill this role in the interim period.

Superstar!

> Finally a polite reminder that this is a group for making things happen.
> Long off-topic discussions will be bumped, in some cases to the
> education sig where they can continue.

Great stuff! Many thanks Carrie Anne for making this happen.

N.