[Pythonedu-wg] A new, kid-friendly Python editor - help page

stewart at penguintutor.com stewart at penguintutor.com
Tue Sep 22 11:53:29 CEST 2015

> *Absolutely must have*:

> - Both windows open within one application (the shell window and text
> editor window).
> - Simple buttons to run code
> - A way to change font sizes easily
> - Syntax highlighting

> *Highly desired*:

> - Error reporting that highlights lines and gives a good level of
> feedback to the user.
> - REPL
> - Projects

I'd also add some kind of integrated help page & language reference.
This would be particularly useful when running on the Raspberry Pi as
when I've seen Raspberry Pis used in schools they have often been off
the school network.

I like the 3 pane view used in Sonic Pi, although for Python I think the
command line should be more prominent and use the width of the editor.
So I think it should be Top Left (most of screen) editor, bottom left
(width of editor) command line / messages, right hand side help.

Context sensative help (hover / tooltips) would be good too, but I think
that would be a nice to have rather than essential.

--
Stewart Watkiss
@stewartwatkiss @penguintutor