[PYTHONMAC-SIG] Compile under CW8?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Mon, 01 Apr 1996 23:31:43 +0200

Recently, guzdial@cc.gatech.edu (Mark Guzdial) said:
> I vote for everything -- Tk, too!

Hmm, that *is* going a bit far: that would make an archive of about
15-20Mb all together. How about the following: in one directory, I put
the Python source distribution plus separate files (pulled off my
harddisk) with the various libraries I used (stdwin, tcl/tk, gusi,
jpeg, pbm/tiff, morefiles). Then, people can choose whether they'll
download all 7 archives (which should get them up-and-running
immedeately) or whether they can skip some of the stuff because they
have it online already (in which case they might have to shuffle some
of the search paths in CW).

>  (Thanks, Dennis, for the suggestion of
> looking up SunTar.  I'll do that.  Currently, I'm just using 'tar' -- a
> real small, simple freeware thing that does a reasonable job.)

Let me put a plug in here for "tarmac" by Tim Endres (sp?). One of the
problems I kept having with suntar is that it can't seem to remember
all my extension->creator/type mappings (I need a few for .c, .h, .py,
.pyc, .gif and various other types). Tarmac uses internet config for this,
which is really handy. Also, it's freeware, and Tim has been very
responsive to questions (despite the fact that he doesn't make money
on it).
You can find it in <ftp://btc2.up.net//pub/users/time/>.
Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl      | ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm