[PYTHONMAC-SIG] Problems with new TkInter on Mac

Mark Guzdial guzdial@cc.gatech.edu
Mon, 26 Feb 1996 15:51:01 -0500 (EST)

I'm trying to use the Beta 2 release of PythonTk with the new Tkinter.  It
hung my machine several times, and after playing with mixtures of Beta 1
and Beta 2, I'm pretty sure it's the new Tkinter.py.  (Guido, I did make
sure that my line-endings are Mac-ified -- BBedit reports that it's a
Mac-style text file.)  I can run the old Tkinter with either Beta 1 and
Beta 2, and all is fine.  But whenever I use the new Tkinter, my cursor
just freezes very early in the startup.  (System 7.5 on a Quadra 840AV with
16M RAM.) I cleaned out a whole bunch of Inits, thinking that maybe that
was the problem, but I'm still getting freezes.  Any suggestions?  Did the
tkconstants.py file change, too?

BTW, in case anybody else is playing with the Tkinter examples,
canvas-with-scrollbars has two options, 'xscroll' and 'yscroll', which need
to be changed to the documented 'xscrollcommand' and 'yscrollcommand' to
get them to work right.  Then everything works fine.  (I'm working my way
through the Ousterhout book and finding that the marriage of Tk and Python
is really terrific!)
  Mark

(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial@cc.gatech.edu