[PYTHONMAC-SIG] Sprocket support

Michael Powers powers@petroglyph.com
Tue, 23 Jul 1996 12:43:12 -0700

Jack,

>So, I'm tempted to do a bgen-generated interface to the sprocket libraries,
>but I have one problem: I don't have an application for sprockets at the
>moment (although one will probably come up as soon as they're implemented).
>So, here's the offer: if someone is willing to look into sprockets, help me
>design the "right" python interface and develop some (toy?) applications
>I'll mumble the secret incantations needed to get bgen to do its work.
>
>Any takers?

Ah, music to my ears. I run a game company called Headgames, L.L.C. that
produces primarily for the PC. I have been looking for an avenue onto the
Mac platform for some time but publishers are very skittish about the
finances. With Python connected to the Sprockets library the case looks
better.

So, I volunteer to do some decent toy applications (3D pong perhaps to
start with). I am not a Mac programmer, although I and my staff are strong
in Python. I also have years of experience in C++ and Lisp. At Headgames we
have some good 3D modelers and such.

Sprockets, I believe, runs on Mac and PC so if we can create a Python
connection that is crossplatform it would be a stupendous achievement for
those of us who like 3D visuals! I will dig around more on the game dev
website. One additional benefit is that I know the head of the game SDK
division personally so we could even get support if we need it from Apple!

Mike