[PYTHONMAC-SIG] Compile under CW8?

Dennis C. De Mars demars@netcom.com
Sat, 30 Mar 1996 15:27:32 -0800

>Ok, for the next release I'll make a source distribution available
>too. What do people want: a mean-and-lean Python-only distribution,
>one including everything else you need (stdwin, pbm/jpeg/etc
>libraries, gusi) or both?
>--
>Jack Jansen             | ++++ stop the execution of Mumia Abu-Jamal ++++
>Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl      | ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++
>http://www.cwi.nl/~jack | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm
>
>=================
>PYTHONMAC-SIG  - SIG on Python for the Apple Macintosh
>
>send messages to: pythonmac-sig@python.org
>administrivia to: pythonmac-sig-request@python.org
>=================

I think that would be great! Personally I'd like to have everything, ready
to build with CW8.

I recently made a build of the standard 1.3 distribution. (I did this
because I wanted to play with the Numerical Python extensions, so I had to
fold that source in to build for the Mac). I eventually got it to work, but
there were some anomalies that might be due to something about the CW
libraries and the way CW builds shared libraries that changed between when
Python 1.3 was released and the standard distribution. F'rinstance, I had
to comment out the __sinit routine in Python 1.3 since the CW8 linker seems
to insist on generating its own and then complaining about the
multiply-defined symbol. Also, I could not get the linker to stop pulling
in the __start module from the library (even though I didn't fill in
__start in the linker options) and since the standard __start has a call to
"main," I had to put a dummy "main" routine in, which got put into
PythonCore. Then, when I linked the Python app (which has the _real_ main
routine) it complained about the extra main, but it was just a warning, and
the correct main got linked in, so everything worked after that, but even
so, I obviously was doing something not quite right!

I had other problems before that, but I think those were mostly due to my
not following the suggestion of where in the folder hierarchy to put the
project files before building, and therefore having incorrect access paths
set up initially. Also, some of the other 1.3 project files for building
some of the optional Mac oriented modules seemed to be inconsistent or
incomplete, referring to files that didn't seem to be present in the 1.3
distribution.

Anyhow, if we could get a fresh source distribution with all of the
necessary parts to do a build with CW8 I'd be very grateful (then I could
do a grand unified build with all of the numerical stuff, Tk support, etc.)
GUSI adds quite a bit to the size of the download, and I've probably got
the most recent version anyway, so you might want to make a version
available with URLs to any source that is publically available else. On the
other hand, if the only version was with all the other stuff thrown in, I
wouldn't mind downloading some redundant pieces (and of course the
advantage of that is that the other pieces are being revised continuously,
so one might not grab the correct version if having to go to different
sites to collect it all -- having all source in one distribution assures
that everything is consistent).

- Dennis D.