[PYTHONMAC-SIG] MacPython 1.4 & Numeric Python

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Fri, 01 Nov 1996 12:43:59 +0100

Recently, Rob Managan <managan@llnl.gov> said:
> Has anyone built version 1.4 from the source?
>
> I have had a few problems. the file macgetpath.c references
> GUSILoadConfiguration which is not resolved. I guess this means that Jack
> modified the standard GUSI distribution since this routine is not in the
> CWGUSI distribution.

Ah, you're one of those people who don't read the documentation:-)

Demo:building.html has the details on this. You either need to modify
CWGUSI (the modified files are supplied with the python distribution)
or strip out the call to GUSILoadConfiguration (and possibly one other
routine).

> I do have NumPy working with the 1.4b3 release if anyone wants it.

I've also done this (it turned out to be almost trivial, with the
exception of one or two minor changes to the numpy stuff due to
incorrect declarations in the metrowerks header files), if you mail me
your stuff I'll compare the two and pack up a distribution.

What I have done is put NumPy in Extensions and created projects for the
cfm68k and ppc shared libraries. The one thing I still need to do is
to write an "install" script (that will do nothing more than add the
correct path components to your preferences file). I would like to
make this the standard form for adding packages (PIL coming up, maybe
WxPyMac, possibly I'll also start distributing img as an extension).

What do people think of the following layout for extensions:

Extensions:foo:foo.ppc.slb
               foo.CFM68K.slb
	       Lib
	       instalfoo.py

where instalfoo adds the current folder and the Lib folder to the
sys.path initialization (preferrably after checking whether the
$(PYTHON) prefix can be used). Exact details may differ (for instance
for NumPy, which doesn't have a Lib directory but uses ni and would
only need Extensions:foo in sys.path).
Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl      | ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm