[PYTHONMAC-SIG] regarding sys.path (was: Anyone using $(APPLICATION) in sys.path preferences?)

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 16:46:30 +0100

> I didn't even know $(APPLICATION) existed in sys.path. :)  but i do have
> some problems/questions about the Path setting in Python's Prefs: is
> there a way around the limit (which seems to be @ 256 chars)?  i'm
> getting a fair amount of folders in my MacPython folder, but i often
> can't add some to the Path in the prefs file because it runs out of
> room.  I've been able to add some with no problem, but after a while one
> gets cut off.

Hmm, there shouldn't be a limit to the total length of sys.path...
There *is* a limit to the length of a single sys.path item, which is 256
chars. This maximum pathname (now using "path" in a different sense) is
prevalent throughout macintosh software, and very difficult to get around.

If you send me what your sys.path looks like, and some cookbook instructions
on how to make new path components disappear I'll investigate...
Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl      | ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm