[PYTHONMAC-SIG] Default BNDL's for mkapplet

Majewski sdm7g@elvis.med.virginia.edu
16 Nov 96 12:39:01 -0500

I raised the question to Jack of whether the default BNDLs in the
template for mkapplet should be 'TEXT'  ( as they are now ) or
['****','fold','disk'] so that any file type and/or folders can be
dropped on an applet.  He said to see what the list thinks.

Personally, it doesn't make a difference to me -- I can change the
defaults on my own copy easily enough --  but it does make a
difference in posting examples and tutorials if there is the added
complication that someone has to run ResEdit to get the examples to
work.

The other argument is that, even if you only want to handle TEXT files,
if you want to handle and expand *Folders* of TEXT files, then you still
need to add some sort of folder expansion and file type filtering, so I
don't think this is adding any more complexity for typical usage.

Along with that change, I'ld like to see standard higher level functions
to handle the filtering and expansion. I don't think the example I
posted is quite "IT" yet, in particular, I don't like that it takes
several seconds for a large expansion before ANYTHING starts to happen -
but it's a start in the right direction. ( I'ld also like to have an
easy hook into the progress bar in Easy Dialogs. )

[ The example code and previous discussion didn't make it onto the
  PYTHONMAC-SIG mailing list,as I had too much MIME CyberCrud attached
 for the mailing list software to handle. Sorry -- I've been having fun
 with CyberDog lately, and I got carried away ( plus, I haven't figured
 out exactly how it chooses how to encode various attachments, so I
 can't predict how it will come out on the other end. ) The previous
  message DID go out on comp.lang.python, so you can read it there,
 or ask me to forward a un-MIME-ed version. ]

- Steve Majewski
<sdm7g@Virginia.EDU>

Cyberdog ---A Product of Apple Computer, Inc.