[PYTHONMAC-SIG] PowerPlant?

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g@virginia.edu
Wed, 2 Oct 1996 13:38:02 -0400 (EDT)

I'm resurrecting an old thread -- sorry I was out of town for a
while ( visiting NIST for a non-Python workshop, but I managed
to drop into Mike McLay's office to chat about Python developments
for a bit! ):

Re: GUI Frameworks.

 ODF (OpenDoc Framework)  2 has just been released for the Mac --

 I haven't yet played with it, so I can't comment on how well
 it would fit into Python, but the plus is that it will be cross
 platform someday ( IBM, I believe, is doing the MS-Win port. )
 and it supports drag&drop and embedding and other cool stuff.
 ( IBM has a beta of OpenDoc for AIX -- I don't know if they
  have done ODF. Sun and Apple have announced a new alliance to
 support QuickTime and some other technologies on SunOS -- perhaps
 this will hasten a Sun OpenDoc port. )

[ Now that I've got an alpha, on it's way to beta, of my xlisp-stat
application, I hope to get some time to play with both MacPython
and ODF/OpenDoc/CyberDog a bit. I'll post my impression once I've
written a bit of code using ODF. I haven't programmed with CyberDog
yet, either, but as a user, I have to say it's way cool! ]

---|  Steven D. Majewski   (804-982-0831)  <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU>  |---
---|  Computer Systems Engineer          University of Virginia  |---
---|  Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics  |---
---|  Box 449 Health Science Center    Charlottesville,VA 22908  |---
 [ "The grass is always greener, except at t=0" - Stan Kelly-Bootle ]