[PYTHONMAC-SIG] wanted: "Run Python" BBEdit extension

Joseph Strout jstrout@ucsd.edu
Sun, 15 Sep 1996 09:49:29 -0700 (PDT)

In my never-ending quest for a Mac programming language for kids that
doesn't suck, I've recently been looking at Chipmunk Basic.  It comes with
a very cool feature: a BBEdit plug-in that adds a "Run as Chipmunk Basic"
command to the Extensions menu.  You edit your source in BBEdit (Lite),
pick this off the menu, and poof! the Mac switches to Chipmunk Basic,
loads your code, and executes it.

In Python, the most efficient paradigm I've come up with is to edit my
code, save it, then switch to the Finder and drag the file onto the Python
app.  Then when it's done I have to be sure to quit (Python).  This is not
terrible, but the BBEdit extension is nicer.

Of course, *nicest* would be a Mac Python IDE.  Edit your code (with
syntax hilighting), command-R to run, command-D to debug, set breakpoints
just by clicking the little stop signs in the sidebar...  ah, but now I'm
just dreaming...

|    Joseph J. Strout           Department of Neuroscience, UCSD   |
|    jstrout@ucsd.edu           http://www-acs.ucsd.edu/~jstrout/  |