[PYTHONMAC-SIG] wanted: "Run Python" BBEdit extension

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g@virginia.edu
Sun, 15 Sep 1996 15:34:13 -0400 (EDT)

  Another share-ware editor, Alpha, is like a somewhat more macified
version of emacs: it supports syntax coloring, and interfaces to
other programs. You would need to write a python-mode module in
Tcl. I use this in my xlisp-stat programming now over BEDIT,because
someone else contributed an xlisp mode. I have not delved into
the inner working of extending the editor yet, so I have no idea
what it would take.

  The "official" OSA conforming way to do this is to separate the
interpreter from the interface and control it with do-script
apple events. Thus you can buy a fancier more featured development
environment for AppleScript than the vanilla script editor that
comes from Apple. I have no idea how language dependent any of
these editors are -- if Mac Python was more OSA compliant, could
you use the AppleScript editor for Python development ? I don't
know. ( And no time at the moment to research the question, although
I WILL try to look at a couple of Alpha programs to see how hard
it would be to add a python mode. I've been using it for Python
without a language specific mode - the handiest command is to
shift block of code left/right.)

---|  Steven D. Majewski   (804-982-0831)  <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU>  |---
---|  Computer Systems Engineer          University of Virginia  |---
---|  Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics  |---
---|  Box 449 Health Science Center    Charlottesville,VA 22908  |---
 [ "The grass is always greener, except at t=0" - Stan Kelly-Bootle ]