[PYTHONMAC-SIG] PowerPlant?

Glenn Andreas gandreas@skypoint.com
Mon, 23 Sep 1996 21:54:47 -0500 (CDT)

Considering how unappealing the Tkinter stuff is for a mac application, one
alternative would be to leverage off an existing framework, namely
PowerPlant (the "write your own" is second on the list, but since
PowerPlant provides all sorts of goodies that "write your own" doesn't...).
It seems that if Python could use the PowerPlant framework (and
Constructor), this could be a very big deal for the MacPython communitee.

Now, in "a previous life" I spent a great deal of time hacking wxPython, so
I got to see, in general, how to fit Python into a class framework, but is
the "pass the object as an opaque magic cookie through a procedural
(non-object orient) interface" techinque the best thing to do?

I was envisioning something more like making a subclass of all
"interesting" PP classes that was "scriptendable" - basically there was a
python object associated with the object, and then all the method calls
would first get passed through the Python layer (assuming the corresponding
method call existed in Python land).  Yes, creating these subclasses this
seems like a lot code, but with the AppleScriptability of CW10, almost all
of it could be automated (which was one of the reasons I never considered
doing this before).

Any other suggestions on strategies on how to best structure the marriage
of the C++ and the Python objects?  There are obviously other problems to
deal with as well (for example, registering the class "read from stream"
routines, and who exactly owns the main event loop: the SIOUX console
window or PP) but these seem small in comparision...

I'm not promising anything here yet mind you, but I know that I would be
quite happy and more productive if I could whip up a PP based app as fast
as I was able to whip up a Motif app using wxPython...

Glenn Andreas                                 Author of Macintosh games:
gandreas@skypoint.com, gandreas@aol.com             Theldrow 2.3
http://www.skypoint.com/members/gandreas            Blobbo 1.0.2
ftp://ftp.skypoint.com/pub/members/g/gandreas
Be good, and you will be lonesome