[PYTHONMAC-SIG] PowerPlant?

Glenn Andreas gandreas@skypoint.com
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 08:27:26 -0500 (CDT)

>Glenn wrote:
>> Considering how unappealing the Tkinter stuff is for a mac application, one
>> alternative would be to leverage off an existing framework, namely
>> PowerPlant..
>
>pardon my ignorance, what about the tkinter stuff doesn't work well,
>or is it just the lack of proper native look and feel, which is coming
>along at sun?

Here's a couple of reasons where Tk fails and PowerPlant doesn't
        the look and feel
        its capabilities (for example, does it support drag & drop? Or
                how about a spread sheet class?)
        speed
        tools (like the PowerPlant constructor for generating the UI)
        ability to easily create new widgets in C++

Of course Tk provides:
        cross-platform
        it already works
        easy to write code to (Tkinter seems very cleanly laid out)

>the problem with targeting powerplant is that not only is it a lot of
>work, but the framework keeps changing, so its a never ending amount
>of work to do it right.  so unless there's a good resource commitment
>somewhere.. or maybe i'm just showing my bias against anything that
>isn't a cross-platform solution. :-)

That's why I'm trying to leverage off the new scriptability of the IDE so I
can automatically suck out all the useful stuff and generate the module
automagically, so when it changes, there is at most only a small amount of
work to do.  Besides, when a new version of Tk comes out, things have to be
fixed there as well (not that a new version of Tk comes out every three
monthes).  While crossplatform would be nice, it isn't at the top of my
list (i.e., I don't make my living off crossplatform stuff).

At any rate, I'm still trying to nail down the issues and approach before
determining if it is even feasible...

Glenn Andreas                                 Author of Macintosh games:
gandreas@skypoint.com, gandreas@aol.com             Theldrow 2.3
http://www.skypoint.com/members/gandreas            Blobbo 1.0.2
ftp://ftp.skypoint.com/pub/members/g/gandreas
I don't want a 12 lb. Nestles Crunch for 25 dollars.