[PYTHONMAC-SIG] CW 11

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Sat, 19 Apr 1997 13:55:47 +0200

Recently, "Joseph J. Strout" <jstrout@ucsd.edu> said:

> If somebody does make a new compilation of Python 1.4, please consider
> rolling in the latest betas of Tk 8.0.  I hear that it's MUCH improved over
> the current version, mainly because it uses native GUI elements, and I'd
> rather not wait until Python 1.5 to give it a try.

Has anyone looked at how much changes are needed for using Tk 8.0? I
didn't look at it at all yet...

> (BTW, is there any chance things like Tk could be dynamically loaded
> libraries, so you can just unplug one version and plug in another without
> recompiling Python?  I really don't know what I'm talking about here, so if
> this is complete nonsense, just say so...)

I think you can forget that. The include files and such will have changed
too, so the least you'll have to do is recompile _tkinter.

It is of course an option to distribute a new _tkinter plugin
module which uses Tk 8.0 to replace the current _tkinter, if
someone is willing to create such a distribution. As said previously
I can't volunteer right now.
Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl      | ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm