[PYTHONMAC-SIG] Planning The Installer for MacPython 1.5

Guido van Rossum guido@CNRI.Reston.Va.US
Tue, 19 Aug 1997 17:54:46 -0400

> Some more thoughts.
>
> - Does anyone know if Apple allows to redistribute the "CFM68k runtime
> enabler"? It would make life easier on 68k macs if we could. Only install
> it (v4.0) if it's not there or if the version if earlier than 4.0 of
> course. It would be the only item that would require a restart.

I can't find anything on Apple's page

http://www.macos.apple.com/macos/cfm-68k.html

thay says you can't, but since CNRI has real lawyers, I'd say don't do
it -- point people to that page.

> - It doesn't seem to make sense to ever install fat binaries, since you
> need to use the installer anyway. ???
> (An exception would be the applet template, to make applets portable.)

Actually, lots of software installs as fat binaries by default.  I
believe it's useful for people sharing software on a network.  But it
should be an option.