[PYTHONMAC-SIG] daemons on the Mac

Anthony M. Ingraldi A.M.INGRALDI@larc.nasa.gov
Fri, 29 Aug 1997 15:00:35 -0400

Hello,

I am trying to implement a very simple finger daemon in python on a Mac.
Do all of the socket calls work properly in Mac Python 1.4?  My process
seems to hang and never respond to requests.  Code snippet follows

----
from socket import *

PORT = 79 # the finger port
BUFSIZE = 1024

def main():
   s = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM)
   s.bind('', PORT)
   s.listen(0)

   while 1:
      conn, (remotehost, remoteport) = s.accept()
      data = conn.recv(BUFSIZE)
      # do something with data
      conn.send("done")
      conn.close()
      del conn

main()
----

The idea is to listen for a connection on port 79, send back a response,
and then wait for another connection.  Ideally I would generate an applet
from the script and place the applet in my startup folder.  (Is there a way
to make an applet run faceless in the background only?)

--
   Tony Ingraldi                 |  e-mail: A.M.INGRALDI@LaRC.NASA.GOV
   NASA Langley Research Center  |