[PYTHONMAC-SIG] Calling any toolbox routine from Python

Joseph Strout jstrout@ucsd.edu
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 09:16:07 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 12 Feb 1997, Jack Jansen wrote:

> Yes, that's the other option but it is a bit more work. The "luxury"
> version I was thinking of would have something like
> 	FooBar = dllcaller('FooBar', formatstring)
> where formatstring would somehow describe the arguments and return values.
> dllcaller would then return a callable object with the correct calling
> sequence, and it would perform argument checking.

Either way sounds great to me.  I remember when I was searching for a way
for my brothers-in-law to write games in Python, I got stymied because I
couldn't plot color icons from within Python without writing a custom C
module and compiling it in.  I finally gave up on Python, and gave my bros
Cocoa instead (which is extremely cool in its own way).

So anything that lets us get at arbitrary Toolbox calls is a big plus, and
the sooner the better.  Put big "DANGER! DANGER!" warnings on it; the
intrepid will manage to use it properly.  The only issue I can think of is
how certain Toolbox things (like windows?) might interact with the SIOUX
console; if you have any info on that, better include it in the docs.

Keep up the good work, Jack!
-- Joe

|    Joseph J. Strout           Department of Neuroscience, UCSD   |
|    jstrout@ucsd.edu           http://www-acs.ucsd.edu/~jstrout/  |