[PYTHONMAC-SIG] CW11 (again)

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Thu, 15 May 1997 12:43:43 +0200

> Has anyone done the CW11 rebuild of Python1.4 yet ?
> Any problems ?

If you load the "obsolete ANSI libraries" from the CW11 CD and use those in
stead of MSL it should build fine. Don't bother trying to convert to MSL: I've
already done it and it is an *incredible* amount of excruciatingly boring work
(I spent the better part of two weeks on it).

> I've finally got a need to rebuild it -- I'm working my
> way thru a handful of Tcl/Tk 8 changes in libraries and
> access paths to get it to recompile, and I may get around
> to starting on Python tonight.

Could you keep me updated on what you've had to change? I haven't looked at
Tcltk 8 yet, but will do so shortly...

> BTW: I saw a mention of 1.5a1 in the string sig, but I
> didn't see this on the ftp site anywhere. Any chance of
> getting a copy to start on Mac CW11 + TK8 mods - or is
> Jack or someone started on this already ?

Yup, it's being done. As soon as Guido clears 1.5a-something for general
distribution I'll do a mac distribution.

> BTWII: It would be nice to have a more light-weight distribution
>  ( both source and binary ) that, for example, that just expected
>  Tcl/Tk shared libraries to be installed separately in "the usual
>  place" . Anyone have any ideas or suggestions about this ?

Hmm, probably a good idea, now that there's the tcl/tk shared libraries. Why
don't you give it a try?

> BTWIII:
>  How much of GUSI is needed now -- I know it's required for
>  socket support, but I think a lot of others posix like things
>  may now be supported in both GUSI and MSL. ( and I noticed
>  that GUSI has been taken out of the Tcl/Tk 8.0 distribution.
>  -- and, I've been unable for some time, to connect to the GUSI
>   ftp site to check on the status of newer versions. )

Beside sockets GUSI also provides select, better "raw" I/O and the hooks for
multiple threads (eventually). I'd be reluctant to do away with it, the MSL
library is not really that much better than the old ANSI library.

GUSI currently lives at <ftp://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/software/platform/macos/
src>.
Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl      | ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm