[PYTHONMAC-SIG] Modules

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Tue, 07 Oct 1997 11:09:50 +0200

> What's the story on the img module?  I remember this came up once before,
> and I seem to recall that although it's not listed on the img SIG web page
> as a supported platform, it *does* work on the Mac -- as Rob reports here.
> But is this something included with Python these days, or do I have to
> install an extension, or even (shudder) get the source code and compile it
> in myself?

It is included in the standard distribution, which is why you don't see its
name come up often. The reason it's in the standard distribution is of course
that I wrote it, with some help from Sjoerd:-).

I still use it a lot, and its part of our multimedia document editor/player,
so it'll be supported for quite some time, and I'll even be adding new image
formats and such, but since PIL has become available it's become less likely
that the image manipulation routines will see significant development, the
functionality will probably stay at the current level: fast and simple
reading/writing of images and conversion between colorspaces.

Sjoerd has converted the various audio file readers and device drivers to a
similar architecture as img, so the two may eventually be bundled in a "media
toolkit" or some such.
Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl      | ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm