[PYTHONMAC-SIG] Applications as shared libraries

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g@Virginia.EDU
Mon, 13 Oct 1997 21:01:09 -0400 (EDT)

FYI: There is a note on this in the "Targeting Mac OS" Code Warrior
docs, under the heading "Applications as Shared Libraries" --
which sounds clear enough, but the two paragraphs under that heading
I found rather confusing. But -- if anyone is interested: it is
probably possible to build Python as an application without the
PythonCore shared library and still link other DLLs to use the
Python API routines. The trick is to load the application file
into the DLL project, and to set the compiler for files of type
'APPL" to "PEF Import PPC" in the File Mappings preference panel.

This seems to cause the library to resolve it's symbols from the
application code. ( You also need to have set the application to
export the needed symbols. )

[ I haven't done this with Python, but I've have with another
  program, so I'm quite sure it will work as described. ]

I think the separate shared library is useful for applets and
other uses, but perhaps this may be useful for someone who needs
to produce an embedded app or some other case where you need to
simplify the "shippables" .

---|  Steven D. Majewski   (804-982-0831)  <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU>  |---
---|  Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics  |---
---|  University of Virginia             Health Sciences Center  |---
---|  P.O. Box 10011            Charlottesville, VA  22906-0011  |---
All power corrupts and obsolete power corrupts obsoletely." - Ted Nelson