[PYTHONMAC-SIG] Re: Mac Python

Steven D. Majewski Steven D. Majewski" <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 12:50:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Jeffrey P Shell wrote:

> Jonathan Wight wrote:
> > I've got python 1.2 and I see 1.4 is on the FTP server. Should I
> > bother
> > downloading? Are the differences that great? I'm thinking of for the
> > MacOS
> > in particular.
>
> I'd upgrade.  1.5 seems to be the big difference-bringer, but much of the
> MacOS stuff is improved in 1.4 over 1.2.
>
> > Is 1.5 about to be released 5 minutes after I download 1.4???
>
> >From my understanding, there is to be one more Alpha release of Python 1.5
> (available to PSA members only), and probably a beta or three, so there's
> probably two-three more weeks at least.

It's hard to remember specifics from way back then, but I believe there
were a lot of improvements to the Mac and Tkinter interfaces since 1.2.

Il'd go with 1.4! -- A Final 1.5 won't be around for a while yet.

The major visible changes are to the C-API: If you are going to be writing
extensions right away, you might want to start with 1.5 and the new
documentation.

More specific to the Mac, there are some changes in 1.5 to event
handling in the MacOS module. There was short thread on this on
the pythonmac-sig mailing list a while ago, launched by Jack with
the Subject:  "[PYTHONMAC-SIG] Incompatible change"

Lookin in my archive, I don't see the definitive summary of what
Jack decided to do, however, I see a new function: 'SchedParams'
in the MacOS module and I see it used in EasyDialogs. I had
assumed, from what I remembered of that discussion, that that was
replacing 'EnableAppswitch', however I see both of them in MacOS.

What's the plan, Jack ?
[ This note cc-ed to pythonmac-sig -- if there is going to be some
  discussion about MacOS interfaces, we can carry it there. ]

[ For the uninitiated, MacOS.EnableAppswitch toggles whether your
  MacPython application code, or the MacPython interpreter/application
  is handling events. If you write an app the has it's own event loop,
  unless you change this from the default, your event loop will not
  get all of the events and will miss some mouse down and other events.
  If you just want to check for a specific event, you can pass the
  other ones on with 'MacOS.HandleEvent(event)', so that MacPython's
  menu's and listener window, etc. will all still work. ]

---|  Steven D. Majewski   (804-982-0831)  <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU>  |---
---|  Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics  |---
---|  University of Virginia             Health Sciences Center  |---
---|  P.O. Box 10011            Charlottesville, VA  22906-0011  |---
All power corrupts and obsolete power corrupts obsoletely." - Ted Nelson