[Pythonmac-SIG] No outstanding HLE (high level event?)

Jeffrey Shell Jeffrey@digicool.com
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 12:01:24 -0500

About a month or two ago I decided to get my feet wet with AppleEvents
and MacPython.  The app I was trying to make was a Principia (now known
as Zobe) browser, using BCI (the Bobo Call Interface) to communicate
with a Principia app.  It consisted of two parts: the Python script
(which was to be basically the AppleEvent server) that communicated via
AppleEvents to a simple GUI made in RealBasic.

I thought I had followed everything right, but kept getting a "No
outstanding HLE" error in Python whenever I sent an AppleEvent its way.
I basically copied the 'realcgitest.cgi.py' module and did some minor
tweaking to clear out the CGI stuff.  And the error kept showing up.  I
tested RealBasic's AppleEvents against some other apps and it worked
fine.  Finally, I just gave up, figuring that I still didn't know enough
about AppleEvents and didn't have the time or real need for this app.

Yesterday, I made the Python cgitest applet and copied it into my folder
being served by Microsoft PWS 4.0.  When I tried to access the (running)
cgi script from a browser, nothing got returned.  I looked back over at
the Python window and saw the good old "No oustanding HLE" error (which
i believe is number 608).  So it seems to me that my Python (1.5.1) is
not responding to AppleEvents anymore.

I was hoping to start playing around with the CGI stuff again as Zope
goes Open Source.  But CGI sortof needs to be working for that :).

Any thoughts?