[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac Threading

Just van Rossum just@letterror.com
Sun, 6 Dec 1998 04:21:18 +0100

At 5:33 PM -0800 12/5/98, Andrew Hanson wrote:
>I was wondering about when threading will be available on the Macintosh.
>Looking at the new threading_api.py under unix, I was thinking that we could
>establish a thread module that would
>present this interface to the user.
>Metrowerks CW Powerplant has a pretty good consumer / producer  module.
>Couldn't we move that same structure into python? I also think that c++
>would be a good jump for implementing
>Macintosh functions that are replications of the unix/win functionality. CW
>c++ is one of the best I've seen.
>
>I don't know the effect this will have on the other areas of python. I have
>never written a threaded MSL application before.

I know zip about threads, (mainly because because MacPython doesn't have
them ;-) but I understood the main bottleneck lies in GUSI, Matthias
Neeracher's otherwise brilliant socket implementation that MacPython uses.
Apparently he is working on a thread-safe version under the name of GUSI
II, but he seems extremely vague about when he might get around finishing
that.

Anyone out there more qualified to answer the original question? (Jack's
off to Asia for a while.)

Just