[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac native applets...

Just van Rossum just@letterror.com
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 18:04:58 +0100

At 11:36 PM -0500 12/20/98, Gordon Worley wrote:
>	I have been using Python for some time on my Mac.  I have attempted
>from time to time to code an applet that behaves much like a Mac
>application (like the IDE, for example).  Unfortunatly, I have had quite a
>bit of trouble figuring out all of the basics needed to write Mac software.
>I have looked through numerous books, but most of them discuss the usage of
>a particular IDE on the Macintosh, therefore omitting important details
>about the workings of Mac applications.  Short of reading through mountains
>of Inside Macintosh, does anyone know of a book that teaches about the
>Toolbox, AppleEvents, resource forks, the file system, and other system
>resources that is very straight forward and easily translatable to Python.

Look at some of the demos in the :Mac:Demo folder. Then you could study
FrameWork.py. I'll be releasing the sources of the IDE with MacPython
1.5.2b1, so that could serve as a demo, too. (I think that will probably be
in january.)

Unfortunately there is no book titled "Mac programming with Python"...

Good luck,

Just