[PYTHONMAC-SIG] MacPython v1.5b3 / NumPy bugs?

W.T. Bridgman wtbridgman@radix.net
Tue, 6 Jan 1998 21:21:24 -0500

I've installed MacPython v1.5b3 pretty much successfully.

Two items:
1) System paths were not fully set after the install.  The img library was
there but I had to add NumPy, NumPy:NumPy and Imaging:Lib (is that all of
them?).  Shouldn't these be set in a normal install?  Come to think of it,
I did a custom install of the PPC versions of each package.

2) I reported this next problem in the NumPy that came with v1.5a4 and it
seems to still be there.  However, I suspect this is a NumPy specific
problem.  By just importing the RandomArray module, I get:

>>Traceback (innermost last):
>>  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>>  File "Macintosh HD:Development:Python v1.5:Python
>>1.5b3:Extensions:NumPy:NumPy:RandomArray.py", line 12, in ?
>>    seed()
>>  File "Macintosh HD:Development:Python v1.5:Python
>>1.5b3:Extensions:NumPy:NumPy:RandomArray.py", line 8, in seed
>>    x = int(t)
>>OverflowError: float too large to convert

Rob Managan reported this fix but my first concern is if this is legit and
doesn't introduce any problems or correlations in the generator:

>def seed(x=0,y=0):
>        if x == y == 0:
>                import time
>                t = time.time()
>                x = long(t)
>                y = long((t-long(t))*1000000)
>        ranlib.set_seeds(x,y)

Now this fix generates errors at ranlib.set_seeds with:

OverflowError: long int too long to convert.

Does this bug and fix need to be propagated to the Matrix SIG for repair?

Thanks,
Tom

Tom Bridgman, Ph.D.                                     wtbridgman@radix.net
Physics & Astronomy