[MATRIX-SIG] Re: [PYTHONMAC-SIG] MacPython v1.5b3 / NumPy bugs?

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Thu, 8 Jan 1998 12:26:41 +0100

> ">*WHAT?!*<", he says, grabbing the table and trying to steady his
> breath... Since the C code, not the fortran code, is distributed it
> might be a good idea to put some asserts somewhere that these
> assumptions hold...

Indeed. f2c-generated code isn't fully portable. It requires
that the C types used to represent Fortran types fulfill the
Fortran conditions, because otherwise common blocks and
equivalent statements cannot be translated correctly.

> But, luckily, the f2c code seems to work on the mac. For all three
> architectures (PPC, classic 68k, cfm68k) I use
> sizeof(int)==sizeof(long)==4 and sizeof(double)==8. This seems what

That should work, since the same sizes are used on my Linux system!

> Unless f2c (or something else) also expects IEEE floating point?

No, there are no assumptions other than those about data sizes.

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen                          | E-Mail: hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Laboratoire de Dynamique Moleculaire   | Tel.: +33-4.76.88.99.28
Institut de Biologie Structurale       | Fax:  +33-4.76.88.54.94
41, av. des Martyrs                    | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/
38027 Grenoble Cedex 1, France         | Nederlands/Francais