[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Python for Mac apps...

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 10:34:55 +0200

>> [Quotes Just about the PythonIDE and me about the GRiNS user interface]
>
> Both of you decided to go the native way. May I ask for the reasons ?

In my case it depends on the task at hand. For GRiNS the main reasons for
going native (in no particular order) were
- I needed QuickTime and some other things that aren't readily available with
  Tkinter
- The original (SGI/Sun Unix) implementation of GRiNS already had hooks for
  using multiple GUI frameworks
- Speed is an issue
- As this is (hopefully) going to be distributed far and wide I wanted a native
  look and feel.

For other projects I may well choose to use Tkinter, especially if I want my
code to be easily portable to Unix and windows.

> PS: Is this list feasible for typical newby questions too ? I dislike to post
> bulk like this to the main list.

My vote is "yes", and being the SIG admin my vote carries some weight:-)

We can always revert that policy (like the Windows SIG did) at some point in
the future, but for now I think we should use this forum for all MacPython
issues. It's also always good to see that people actually _use_ this stuff:-)
Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl      | ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm