[Pythonmac-SIG] IDE & MacOS 8.5?

the hafler trio h3o@veda.is
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 12:16:19 -0500

>At 1:36 AM -0500 11/27/98, Doug Wyatt wrote:
>>Strangely enough I just now discovered a PyIDE problem.
>>
>>I'm running MacOS 8.1 on a G3 with PyIDE 0.9b4 and Python 1.5.1.
>>
>>If I launch the IDE, quit, then launch it again, I crash during the drawing
>>of the PyIDE splash screen.  I mucked around in Macsbug enough to isolate
>>the crash in the Appearance Manager.  I unchecked "System-wide platinum
>>appearance" in the Appearance control panel, and the crashes stopped.
>>
>>The calling chain is:
>>	Python code calls DrawDialog
>>	which calls DrawControls
>>	where it crashes the second time it gets there
>>
>>On a hunch I went into Resorcerer, changed the dialog's background color,
>>so as to create a 'dctb' resource, and the problem stopped.  Strange!
>
>Hm, I can't seem to be able to reproduce this at all :-(. I use MacOS 8.1
>with "System-wide platinum appearance" on a G3, too. Just a slightly newer
>version of the IDE but I can't remember having changed much in the splash
>screen code.
>
>Just

there appears to be confusion in Mac-Land about the appearance manager
versions. I have found that the latest (non-system) commercial software
installers have 1.02 which they dump into the extensions folder 'just to be
on the safe side', but the version of the system software that came with
the machine I am now writing on is 1.03. I have also noticed that some
software will simply not run with an incompatible version of the latter.
there seems to be no comprehension of a higher version - as in 'if the
appearance manager is 1.03, then it can't be current, so let's "upgrade" it
to 1.02.' bah.

ah well.

best

andrew mckenzie