[Pythonmac-SIG] NumPy and Graphics issues

Rob Managan managan@llnl.gov
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 13:27:22 -0700

I have played with the NumPy module off and on. It is real easy to compile.
In fact I just did Numerical; a few minutes of copying files and <3 minutes
to compile. I have shipped previous versions to a few people but don't have
an ftp site available to me.

(Seems that I have a problem with the CFM68K version and the definition of
hypot, no time to track it down and most use PPC)

At this point my set up is to use the LLNL directory structure and add a
Mac folder that holds all the CW projects and shared libraries. Then you
add the The RNG module even has some source code to get the current time
for a random seed that I contributed.

I also have one for PyOpenGL but it doesn't work with Tk yet. Anyone want
to port the ToGL widget?

Anyone want to take up the project of replacing the lapack_lite in the
distribution with the full Lapack sources? They are available with CW
projects for the Mac.

------- GRAPHICS -------

Back to Joerg Kantel's question. PyGraph is not running on the Mac since
the underlying graphics library Gist has not been ported. That will be a
major effort I'm afraid and one I can't undertake. I can offer a plplot
module as an alternative. I am sure someone could take that and weave it
into PyGraph with some Python programming. Mainly that means translating
Gist calls into plplot calls. You might also want to implement a way to
tell the graphics code whether you are using Gist or plplot (They may have
the hooks for this as I recall since Narcisse is an option as well.)

Final question. Is it worth trying to get a stuffit archive for the Mac
folder included in the distribution? The down side is that you would have
to recompile it and most won't have CodeWarrior. Or would it just help to
get copies to Jack and/or Just and get the the latest copies distributed
from their sites??

Rob Managan       mailto://managan@llnl.gov
LLNL                      ph:  925-423-0903
P.O. Box 808, L-183       FAX: 925-423-5804
Livermore, CA  94551-0808