[Pythonmac-SIG] Status of MacPython?

Jim Harrison jhrsn@pop.pitt.edu
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 15:36:10 -0400

I'm new to Python (but in the process of getting hooked) and I'm
interested in working in python on the Mac in addition to working with
Zope (=Python) on Linux. I guess I can add my name to those who will be
working with both Mac and Linux and who would like to see an efficient
built-in solution for the tab vs. space problem in line indenting and
other outstanding issues. I would also vote for syntax coloring in the
IDE even if multiline strings are not cleanly handled.

It would be really useful to me to see some brief comments on the future
of Mac Python from Jack and/or Just, even though I know that crystal-ball
stuff is inexact. Is it anticipated that standard python will compile for
Mac OS X or will a special distribution be required? Will Mac Python
continue as a separate entity? Are additional Mac Python releases (i.e.,
the 1.5.2 final) anticipated? If MacPython will continue in the future,
what's the prognosis of the current development effort?

Jim Harrison

James H. Harrison, Jr., MD, PhD
Associate Director, Division of Pathology Informatics
Department of Pathology, Univ. of Pittsburgh Health System

C920 PUH, 200 Lothrop Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213

jhrsn@pop.pitt.edu | voice: 412-647-5529 | fax: 412-647-9588

"If you want sense, you'll have to make it yourself!!"-Norton Juster