[Pythonmac-SIG] Status of MacPython?

Joseph J. Strout joe@strout.net
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 12:58:01 -0700

At 3:36 PM -0400 08/09/99, Jim Harrison wrote:

>working with both Mac and Linux and who would like to see an efficient
>built-in solution for the tab vs. space problem in line indenting...

I also go back and forth between MacOS and Linux a lot, using Python
on both (there's a lot of Python CGI on my web site these days).  I
just use tabs for everything.  Works for me -- what's wrong with this
solution?

I use pico when editing in Unix (obviously I do this as little as
possible!), but I've heard that emacs is quite configurable; I think
you can make it do four-character tabs, at which point it's just like
the Mac.

>other outstanding issues. I would also vote for syntax coloring in the
>IDE even if multiline strings are not cleanly handled.

Hear hear!  :)

>It would be really useful to me to see some brief comments on the future
>of Mac Python from Jack and/or Just, even though I know that crystal-ball
>stuff is inexact. Is it anticipated that standard python will compile for
>Mac OS X or will a special distribution be required?

I'm not Jack or Just, but in case my $0.02 is worth that much, from
what I know of MacOS X the standard Unix distribution should compile
out of the box (at least, as much as any unix package compiles
out-of-the-box for any new flavor of Unix).

> Will Mac Python continue as a separate entity?

This is a good question.  I'd guess that some Mac-specific modules
will always be in order, for accessing Mac services not available on
other platforms.  Whether we'll need an entirely separate build is
unclear.  Probably we will, as most Mac users won't want to follow
the usual Unix method of downloading things as source code and
wrestling with it for a few hours to get it to compile before using
it.

> Are additional Mac Python releases (i.e.,
>the 1.5.2 final) anticipated?

A good question... Jack, Just?

Cheers,
-- Joe

|    Joseph J. Strout           Biocomputing -- The Salk Institute |
|    joe@strout.net             http://www.strout.net              |