[Pythonmac-SIG] Acta outliner as MacPython code editor

Jim Harrison jhrsn@pop.pitt.edu
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 11:47:27 -0400

The Acta outliner was a small, fast, elegant outline editor for the Mac
that was in fairly wide use in the late 80's. It was one of my favorite
programs at the time, but it has been out of distribution since the early
90's. It was recently released as 'Acta Classic' for free downloading by
A Sharp <http://a-sharp.com/> and it is listed along with some comments
on Macintouch's 'Antique Software' page
<http://www.macintouch.com/earlymac.html>. This version runs just fine on
current hardware and software (system 8.6).

For a lark, I tried setting up a Python script in Acta. I've liked
outliners as code editors since using Frontier for a while several years
back. Maintaining code in an outliner helps with correct indenting and
also allows collapsing or expanding of code blocks or hierarchical trees
within code, so you can jump from a high level to a detailed view of code
easily. Python, with its indentation-based code blocks and lack of
bracket delimiters is ideal for editing by an outliner.

It turns out that Acta works pretty well as a Python editor. There are
limitations, of course. You must save the code from Acta as text, with no
topic labels (this is easy). This places tabs in front of each line
corresponding to the indentation level. These text files cannot be
re-opened for editing in Acta--but they are similar to files saved from
the IDE and so they can be opened and edited in the IDE. You also need to
change the creator type to 'Pyth' for drag & drop to work. If Acta would
read in the text files, and if it had a plugin architecture that allowed
development of syntax coloring ( :-) ) and passing code to Python for
execution, we'd have a really unique alternative editor.

Jim Harrison

James H. Harrison, Jr., MD, PhD
Associate Director, Division of Pathology Informatics
Department of Pathology, Univ. of Pittsburgh Health System

C920 PUH, 200 Lothrop Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213

jhrsn@pop.pitt.edu | voice: 412-647-5529 | fax: 412-647-9588

"If you want sense, you'll have to make it yourself!!"-Norton Juster