[Pythonmac-SIG] PythonScript - Questions -v0.5 beta 1 24/04/98

L. Humbert humbert@hagen.de
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 21:05:05 +0200

Dear Bill Bedford,
dear friends of Python and Mac-Computers,

we are working on solutions to drive some things in our Computer-Lab in our
K12-school.
Because the software for locking iMacs is much to expensive for us, we
decided to give some own programming a chance (;-
---
If anyone has answers to the questions, please
answer with a "Reply to all" - so my collegue at  school getīs the mail, too.
Iīm subscribed to some maillists and donīt have time to read any more, so
please reply direct to the author.
I know - my english is very bad - Iīm just a manual reader (and not a writer).
---
Our Server is a Linux-based system - so I went the way up to Python by studying
BSCW, which we will set up for using in school to -
after some time I used some rudimentary Python-based functions to program some
(more or less) useful things for the mac-linux-connection (you may look at them
at
http://in.Hagen.de/humbert/vortraege/
but ... excuse my ... itīs in german)
------

The problems and thought of solutions:
================================
Our iMacs in school are running MacOS 8.6.

We want to lock them with ResEdit (make some folders:
unvisible
some
unvisible and locked
etc.

We are connecting to the serverinfrastructure
a) by atalk (mounting the Linux-homedir on the students destop) - so we canīt
use our old version of At Ease
b) with tcp/ip with using the module-roaming and IMAP as post-protocol on our
Linux-Server

We have to use some  local software on our iMacs.

In getaete.py I found, that you have only implemented
English, French and Japanese,
but not German -- please tell me the nessecary Code for german -- perhaps
it is "3"?
What do we have  to change, to make this work?

Are there any other points to look at?

Why did you comment out the
openosax ?
and
openaete ?
in getaete.py

We want to Python-Script some things, we can do with AppleScript, but some other
(like writing on the Server; checking, if the user has correct locked in, ..)
are only possible with Python, I think.

Because we have little time to test, any answer would be fine.

Yours sincerley
		Ludger Humbert

PPS: The test of the application PyScript.py didnīt run:

>>> import PythonScript
>>> SIGNATURE = 'MACS'
>>> TIMEOUT = 10*60*60
>>> PythonScript.PsScript(SIGNATURE, TIMEOUT)

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "brecht:Programmiersprachen:Python 1.5.2b1:Mac:Contrib:PythonScript:PythonScript.py", line 116, in PsScript
    pyscript = getaete.Getaete(sig)
  File "brecht:Programmiersprachen:Python 1.5.2b1:Mac:Contrib:PythonScript:getaete.py", line 48, in Getaete
    data = compileaete(data)
  File "brecht:Programmiersprachen:Python 1.5.2b1:Mac:Contrib:PythonScript:getaete.py", line 222, in compileaete
    gsuites = openaeut()
  File "brecht:Programmiersprachen:Python 1.5.2b1:Mac:Contrib:PythonScript:getaete.py", line 319, in openaeut
    rf = OpenRFPerm(fullname, 0, 1)
TypeError: Str255 arg must be string of at most 255 chars