[Pythonmac-SIG] TOGL for Mac

Vincenzo Tschinke tschinke@swissonline.ch
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 22:10:11 +0100

Hi everybody!

I am attempting to port TOGL to the Mac.

I am interested in such a port because I would like to use and develop on the Mac the Python code with Tk and OpenGL calls that I have running on SGI's.

I am doing the port myself because it very much seems to me that nobody else is willing to do it. If this is not the case, please let me know.

I am at a very early stage of this project. I am using the source code for TOGL 1.5 and Tcl/Tk 8.0.5. I use Tcl/Tk 8.0 since this is the version interfaces to my current Python release, 1.5.2 on both Mac and SGI. I was able to resolve all library calls to Tcl/Tk from TOGL, and a few to OpenGL libraries. I use CodeWarrior Pro 4 and Apple's OpenGL SDK 1.0.

I am now planning to look at the GLX calls and replace them with corresponding AGL calls, when possible. I would like to avoid using the GLUT library, except for prototyping.

AGL is Apple's OpenGL interface, corresponding to GLX on X window and WGL on MS Windows. Since this is an interface to Tk anyways, I guess it's OK not to use "portable" libraries such as GLUT. If somebody thinks I better stick to GLUT, please let me know why.

Any suggestion from the Mac/OpenGL/Tcl/Tk/Python community is warmly welcome.

All the best,

Vincenzo Tschinke

Vincenzo Tschinke
Kernmattstr. 24