[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: "Build Applet" not Drag and drop anymore?

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Sat, 04 Dec 1999 00:30:26 +0100

Continuing on an old discussion:

Recently, John W Baxter <jwblist@olympus.net> said:
> MacPerl builds the icon family for its "droplets" into each droplet, with
> the icons being resource ID 128.
>
> Python (the applet builder) copies the three icons from the interpreter
> into the applet.  But, the icon family ID 128 is still the interpreter, not
> the applet, and the FREF ID 128 is still for the APPL.  Somewhere in there
> is likely the problem...it would probably be better to copy the applet icon
> family into the applet as ID 128, not 129, and either omit the icon family
> for the interpreter, or give it a different number.

The situation is slightly different. PythonInterpreter has three
BNDLs: 128 for the interpreter (signature Pyth), 129 for the default
applet (signature Pyt0) and 130 for the IDE (don't remember the
signature). These three are all copied to the new applet, and it is
given the Pyt0 creator, APPL type.

I reverse-engineered this scheme from what Applescript does with its
droplets, but I've never managed to fully understand the interaction
between BNDLs, owner resources, FREFs and what-have-you, and Apple
isn't very clear in explaining it either, except for the common
one-bundle case. And there's a good chance I fouled up the
reverse-engineering of Applescript as well:-)

Would it be a good idea if BuildApplet only copied the 129 BNDL?
Should it renumber it to 128? And, if so, should it renumber the frefs
and such too? And what are these "icon localids" anyway?

I think I've shown my ignorance of this whole subject quite enough by
now, so if someone could step in and tell me what BuildApplet should
do: please step forward:-)