[Pythonmac-SIG] MacOS X Server installation documentation

savageb savageb@pacbell.net
Fri, 03 Dec 1999 23:19:24 -0800

Just installed Python 1.5.2 on MacOS X Server. I followed the instructions
at http://xclave.macnn.com/Features/QuickNDirty/ to whit:

> =A0
> And now Python 1.5.2.
> Easy easy easy. Download the Python source code to /usr/local/src (or /tm=
p if
> you don't care to store the source code).
> In Terminal:
>=20
> cd *directory you chose*
> gnutar xpzf Python-1.5.2.tar.gz
> cd Python-1.5.2
> ./configure --with-host=3Dpowerpc-apple-netbsd -silent
> The with-host (*#$ is because the installer doesn't understand Rhapsody, =
or
> it's needs=8Aand it has needs, people. So, instead it just uses the templat=
e for
> a PowerPC chip and NetBSD. If you are thinking that this sounds questiona=
ble,
> don't. This is quick and dirty!
> In Terminal:
>=20
> make
> make install
> ln -s /usr/local/lib/Python1.5 /usr/bin/python
> The final line allows you to call python from the command line.
> =A0

the link on "Python source code" above was
http://www.python.org/ftp/python/src/py152.tgz

I noticed one change from the above, however: I have "openup" installed and
that takes care of the decompressing and detarring automatically, but it
moves things to a different directory.

(Just thought I would note this here in case someone searches the archives
looking for this info, but if anyone wants to comment on this procedure,
please speak up as I am quite unfit to judge if the "quick and dirty" natur=
of the configure procedure is a problem. BTW, the version information that
comes up at first says I am running on "next5_3", and os.name =3D=3D "posix".)

Nota Bene: this is different from the config options mentioned in the
http://dinsdale.python.org/pipermail/pythonmac-sig/1999-May/002648.html
which specifically mentioned compiling with threads so that Zope would run.

Hope someone finds this stuff useful,

Bob