[Pythonmac-SIG] setting up python

Bob Savage savageb@pacbell.net
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 09:49:28 -0800

> hope these newbieish questions arent inappropriate for the list:

Not at all.

> i have installed python 1.52c1 (had the beta before that) some days ago. i had
> done some scripting involving the string and os modules and those work.
> however, today i tried doubleclicking some demos and the tkinter demos didnt
> work: they cant find the Tkinter module for some reason. it lives in the
> tk-lib in the lib and the lib *is* in the pythonpath (i checked it). do i have
> to separately put the path to lib:tk-lib there? i wanna be careful with those
> paths (pathes? path'th?) cause i dont want to foul anything up.. thought i'd
> rather ask.

I think someone mentioned that one of the TK files got placed in another
folder (PIL?) by accident. So you could either move the file to the TKinter
Directory, or include the other directory in your path.

> another question (maybe thats really a piddle question, dunno..):
> i installed piddle and put it in the pythonpath. some of the testing stuff
> gives me: cant find module 'w'. i dont know what that module is and if it
> belongs to piddle or not..

This is because 'w' is tied up with the IDE in som way. You will need to
call piddle-QuickDraw stuff from within the IDE to get it to work.

> some of the piddle testing stuff that writes pdf does work and writes it to
> python.out until the window kindof overflows and starts flashing in a wild
> way. i guess i should redirect the output.. is there something mac-pythonish
> about doing that or should i read about it in the general docs?

Sorry, I don't know anything about this. Maybe you should take it to the
piddle list.

Bob