[Pythonmac-SIG] transparent GIF on Mac Python (update)

Bob Savage savageb@pacbell.net
Tue, 09 Feb 1999 16:49:27 -0800

Here's an update on using transparent GIFs with Mac Python.

Apparently it is not possible with either straight Tkinter or PIL. I spoke
with Frederik Lundh, and he said that of the two examples I posted earlier
<http://216.101.184.71> PIL doesn't support transparency only RGBA - style
(Alpha Mask) effects (although I tried with a PNG and that didn't work
either). The pure Tkinter approach *should* work, however, and displays
correctly on his computer (some sort of Unix), but apparently there is
something off with the way Tkinter works on the Mac.

Just thought I'ld let the list know in case someone ends up looking through
the archive for some answers.

Bob