[Pythonmac-SIG] Tk and 68K macs

Alexander Schliep schliep@zpr.uni-koeln.de
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 11:42:09 +0100

On Feb 15, 11:54pm, Jack Jansen wrote:
> Subject: [Pythonmac-SIG] Tk and 68K macs
> I'm looking at putting the new Tk version into MacPython, and before I

Great to see improvements in this area. Unfortunately I have to finish
up my Ph.D. real soon now and cannot volunteer to help.

> start with all the mods needed to get the cfm68k version of Tcl/Tk
> running let me first ask: is _anyone_ using Tkinter on a 68K mac? If

We are developing a graph algorithm visualisation software, which uses
Tkinter and so far seems to run pretty well even on old Windows boxes
and on old Macs (LC II or so). Dropping Tk support for 68K macs would
eliminate probably a lot of schools and University computer labs. I certainly
would regret it. (Btw, the visualisation software will be made freely
available. A set of particular algorithms with a textbook will be published by
Springer.)

> so, how sad would you be if I dropped Tk support for 68K macs? How sad
> would you be if I kept it in the static interpreter (Python68KStand)
> but dropped it in the Cfm68K (fat) version?

I only would need Cfm68K for having dinamically loadable extensions, right ?
I could do without it.

Alexander