[Pythonmac-SIG] PIL on Mac doesn't work?

Joseph J. Strout joe@strout.net
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 10:33:49 -0800

I'm trying to get a grip on the Image module of PIL under MacOS.  I was
able to open an image just fine using:

im = Image.open(pathname)

but whenever I try to do anything with this image -- even just get a pixel
value -- I get a traceback:

>>> im.getpixel( (0,0) )
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<input>", line 1, in ?
  File "Birdsong:Users:Strout:tools:Python
1.5.2b1:Extensions:Imaging:PIL:Image.py", line 503, in getpixel
    self.load()
  File "Birdsong:Users:Strout:tools:Python
1.5.2b1:Extensions:Imaging:PIL:ImageFile.py", line 122, in load
    self.im = Image.core.new(self.mode, self.size)
  File "Birdsong:Users:Strout:tools:Python
1.5.2b1:Extensions:Imaging:PIL:Image.py", line 36, in __getattr__
    raise ImportError, "The _imaging C module is not installed"
ImportError: The _imaging C module is not installed

No mention of "_imaging" is made in the PIL 0.2b3 manual.  Can anyone
provide any insight here?  What must I do to get at the pixels loaded by
Image?

Thanks,
-- Joe
|    Joseph J. Strout           Biocomputing -- The Salk Institute |
|    joe@strout.net             http://www.strout.net              |