[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: GetScrap -- use of?

Mike Byrne byrne@acm.org
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 14:43:21 -0500

On 99.02.22, Joseph J. Strout <joe@strout.net> wrote:

> Anybody (Jack?) know how to use Scrap.GetScrap?  The docstring on it
> sez:
>
> (Handle hDest, ResType theType) -> (long _rv, long offset)
>
> According to Inside Mac, I should be able to pass a null handle for
> the first parameter if I just want to see whether a certain type is
> on the clipboard.  But neither of these works:

> TypeError: Resource required

> TypeError: Resource required
>
> I also can't figure out how to get the data;

I ran into this, too.  You have to make a "dummy" resource, and then you
access the results with the "data" field.  Here's the function I use to
get the text on the clipboard:

import Res
import Scrap

def scrapString():
    TheScrap = Res.Resource("")
    Scrap.GetScrap(TheScrap, 'TEXT')
    return TheScrap.data

There's probably a better way to do this, but this has worked for me so
far.

-Mike

Mike Byrne, Ph.D.        byrne@acm.org      +1 412-268-3498
Postdoctoral Research Associate in Cognitive Psychology/HCI
Psychology Department, Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA  15213-3890
http://act.psy.cmu.edu/ACT/people/byrne/index.html