[Pythonmac-SIG] Python and the future of MacOS

Jeffrey P Shell jeffrey@Digicool.com
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 19:01:23 -0500

>From: Steve Spicklemire <steve@estel.uindy.edu>
> Forgot to mention..... I have no idea about Carbon...
>
> I'm guessing that Carbon will be in MOXS, but I really
> don't know...
>
> -steve

From what I've heard, Carbon (the final version) is not yet complete.
Hence the name MacOS X Server, which still uses "The Blue Box" for MacOS
Compatibility.  Carbon will enable Carbon-dated (?) MacOS Apps to run
without the blue box on MacOS X.  And since most existing MacOS Apps are
supposed to be 90-95% Carbon Complient already, this shouldn't be a major
issue and will give Carbon apps more freedom inside of MacOS X than a
'traditional' Blue Box app.

Carbon will also ship as libraries for MacOS 8.x and 9 (if there is a 9)
and will give those OS's high compatibility with new and future apps,
regardless of whether it was written for MacOS or MacOS X.

But I'm not expecting any sort of Carbon release before summer.  Although
the big developer conference (WWDC) may hold some surprises.

BTW: We're looking at the possibility of a Mac port of Zope (
http://www.zope.org ).  Is there any market for MacOS 8.x based web
application platforms outside of what already exists? (Filemaker and
friends)?  Or would efforts be better placed at a MacOS X Server based
solution?  (which would face stiff competition with WebObjects since WO is
part of the hefty MOSX price tag.  And there's reportedly good Python/WO
integration anyways).  It's been years since I've dealt with C code or any
sort of low-level plumbing, and I'm guessing some of the low level zope
stuff could be a heavy baptism by fire scenario into MacOS development.
I/We (Digital Creations) want to make sure such an effort would be worth
it.

(And, since Zope is Open Source, if anybody else want's to do this, feel
more than free :-)