[Pythonmac-SIG] Python and the future of MacOS

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 12:28:54 +0100

> My guess is, since MacOS X is basically Unix, and since Python already
> compiles for various Unices relatively smoothly, it will work fine under
> MacOS X.  The main issue is the current Mac modules; they'll need to be
> updated for the Carbon API.  Can we expect this to happen?

Python is relatively carbon-ready. Because most modules are generated from the
header files they're all well-behaved (mostly). The two issues that I found
with the carbon-dater are the event-lookahead for command-dot processing (but
that should be easy to fix) and the Standard File dialogs. If someone wants to
write a Navigation Services module I would be very grateful, I definitely want
one soon, but I'm a bit stuck for time.

Another question is how the integration between the unix and the macos api's
will be...
Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl      | ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm