[Pythonmac-SIG] plotting package for MacOS?

Joseph J. Strout joe@strout.net
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 08:34:15 -0800

Any recommendations on a plotting package for MacOS?  I'm especially
interested in scientific plots, i.e., I want to replace Matlab with NumPy,
but I need Matlab's powerful graphing and plotting capabilities.

I looked over the list at
	http://starship.skyport.net/crew/jhauser/plot-res.html

but none of them sound too promising.

If none is available -- and assuming I can convince my boss to let us stick
with Python anyway -- then I'll be writing one.  The idea I've been kicking
around involves a plot object to which you assign functions to do the
low-level drawing (lines, polygons, text, etc.).  So the plot engine would
be portable; you'd just plug in functions to use your native drawing
commands (or not -- maybe you'd plug in postscript drawing commands, or
gdmodule (GIF) functions, or whatever).

But that's the sort of thing the plot-sig is presumably interested in... is
there already such a package in the works?

Thanks,
-- Joe
|    Joseph J. Strout           developer: MacOS, Unix, 3D, AI     |
|    joe@strout.net             http://www.strout.net              |