[Pythonmac-SIG] An Odd Question...

Joseph J. Strout joe@strout.net
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 08:05:57 -0700

At 6:31 AM -0700 07/08/99, Richard Gordon wrote:

>"Minotaur uses some global data; it's not yet re-entrant /
>thread-safe. As a matter of fact, Minotaur is still totally ignorant
>of threads."
>
>I know what threads are and I suspect I know what thread-safe means,
>but what is "re-entrant" and to what extent would something that was
>re-entrant / thread-safe under unix retain those qualities when
>ported to the current MacOS?

The current MacOS doesn't use threads (well, almost never -- it can if you
jump through a lot of hoops).  So thread safety is utterly irrelevant on
the Mac.  "re-entrant" is basically just another term for thread-safe.

Cheers,
-- Joe
|    Joseph J. Strout           Biocomputing -- The Salk Institute |
|    joe@strout.net             http://www.strout.net              |