[Pythonmac-SIG] wxPython - Guido

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin@texoma.net
Sat, 24 Jul 1999 11:50:21 -0500

At 05:51 PM 7/24/99 +0200, Just van Rossum wrote:
>At 9:05 AM -0500 7/24/99, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
>>Several months ago I tried the PySol app created by Markus F.X.J.
>>Oberhumer. On my PC at work it ran without problem. I tried it on my Mac at
>>home and it would not run. :(
>>I then emailed Markus and he replied that he had been told that using
>>Tkinter on the Mac required lots of memory. I was already at 20mb for
>>Python so I bumped it up to 48mb and it ran. I think the lowest it got was
>>around 40mb. This isn't good for a cross-platform GUI.
>
>Just to clarify: this had nothing to do with Tk(inter)!

I can understand that. Even if it only had to do with Tk and nothing Python
was at fault, it is still a potential problem. None of the "native"
Solitaire games consume anywhere near such. I am willing to grant
interpreted environments such as Python, Tk, Java greater lattitude in
resource requirements, but there is a limit.

Python brings some nice benefits for it's resource requirements. :)

>PySol comes as one *gigantic* source file: 6150 lines, or 194 kb. The
>Python *compiler* uses an unproportionally large amount of memory for large
>source files, and that causes the problem. Once compiled to an applet it
>runs very nicely using "only" 15 megs...

That's nice to know maybe I'll make an applet.

I attempted to read it's source once. Yuck. I didn't go very far.

>(Of course, Tk is still a memory hog, but then again, so is Python)

I've not used any of the cross-platform GUI's. It would be nice to have one
which did not add excessively to the resource requirements due to it being
on another interpreted environment.

Thanks,

Jimmie Houchin