[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython in the face of MacOS X

Jeffrey P Shell jeffrey@Digicool.com
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 18:58:29 -0400

As I continue to punt around not-that-well-known-territory (for me anyways)
in regards to MacOS X, I've come across some new li'l issues.

I don't know how many of you have seen the glorious pile of spaghetti that
is configure, configure.in, and friends -- it's fun.  *snicker*.  Since
there have been some minor-to-major changes in MacOS X away from from MacOS
X Server, something in configure files are going uncaught or being caught
improperly.  There may be a few changes that I'm going to submit soon (if i
get it working) to Guido.

I've modified configure.in to report MacOS X as, well, MacOS X.  For the
platform stuff that Python generates, it comes out as macosx10_0 (since the
reported version is 10.0).  I didn't know whether to set things to be
'macos' or 'macosx'.  I find my current naming convention a tad silly since
i'm saying 10 twice (the x and the 10_0), but I'm starting to wonder about
the future of MacPython on the MacOS X Platform.

Has much thought been given to this?  Since MacOS X has BSD underpinnings,
we won't have to summer the strangeness's of SIOUX.  On the other hand, who
knows the future for things like TKinter and the MacPython IDE in such an
environment.  But unless MacPython is Carbon complient, it might not be an
issue anyways.

Basically, if I set the machine dependency string to be 'macos10_0' (i
don't think calling it next10_0 is right), will this cause problems if the
MacPython distribution gets built for 10 (probably on the Carbon side)?

I'm still building and poking around in my spare time and waiting anxiously
for MacWorld NY :)

.jPS | jeffrey@digicool.com
zope, through the web. www.zope.org