[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython in the face of MacOS X

Jeffrey P Shell jeffrey@Digicool.com
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 10:14:20 -0400

>From: Jack Jansen <jack@oratrix.nl>
> I think I'd set sys.platform to "macosx". It's definitely not macos, but I
> think adding the 10_0 is overkill. The macosx would be used for things like
> checking whether you can import (say) MacOS GUI modules.

The 10_0 is Unix-ish.  (ie, sunos5_4, etc...).  It's primarily a good way
for things like configure to detect differences between versions (like
subtle differences between OpenStep 4 and 5.x (5.x being the Rhapsody
family).  The configure tests can check the system name and release in this
fashion.  I'd like to keep with that.  I haven't looked yet at how this
configure option affects the rest of the build and I'll probably tweak it
so that things like lib-macosx is made, not lib-macosx10_0.

(I still have yet to get a succesful build of the dynamic version I need
for Zope source releases to build).

I'll keep my building/prodding as MacOSX.  Hopefully soon I'll have some
more hard drives attached to this machine so I can get Server back up and
really look at the differences, as well as getting Darwin running (We'd
love to get Python in the Darwin distribution, and hopefully Zope as well).

.jPS | jeffrey@digicool.com
zope, through the web. www.zope.org