[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: new EasyDialogs

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g@virginia.edu
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 12:52:50 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Jack Jansen wrote:

|Recently, "Joseph J. Strout" <joe@strout.net> said:
|>
|> Any thoughts on when and how Appearance support might be rolled
|> into MacPython?
|>

|Does anyone have any idea how this could be done in a
|backwards-compatible way? Or should we just forget about backwards
|compatability, and leave thatto the Python programmer?

I've been thinking about this since looking at the hefty additions
to the 8.0 and 8.5 docs. The 8.5 docs are even labeled as
"Window Manager 2.0", "Control Manager 2.0" , ... etc.

I'ld like to avoid complicating the MacPython programming process
with a lot of Gestalt calls and the like.

Perhaps we should make a break: leave the current toolbox shared
libs as legacy support -- if you need you can still write Mac Python
code for the widest Mac OS legacy systems, but start on a set of
Win2, Dlg2, etc. interfaces, also targeting Carbon compatability.

I think it likely that the Mac Python programmer would choose to
either program for the new interfaces or the old, but if you wanted
to handle both optionally, you could "try: import Win2;
except: import Win"  .

---|  Steven D. Majewski   (804-982-0831)  <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU>  |---
---|  Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics  |---
---|  University of Virginia             Health Sciences Center  |---
---|  P.O. Box 10011            Charlottesville, VA  22906-0011  |---

    Caldera Open Linux: "Powerful and easy to use!" -- Microsoft(*)
     (*) <http://www.pathfinder.com/fortune/1999/03/01/mic.html>